Monday, February 21, 2011

3 Ninjas


I've saved the best movie choice for third. (That's the saying, right?) 3 Ninjas is a film very near and dear to my heart. It even made me want to take up karate for a couple hours. Last spring I named my intramural softball team "Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum" as a tribute to this fine accomplishment in cinema. (Not many people got it though) It's a movie I can still watch with my friends and be entertained by, although normally one or two people are inebriated during the viewing. That still does not hinder this film's genius, it has everything a person could want from a movie based on three small children defeating trained professional ninjas with the help of their elderly grandfather.
Each of the child actors who portrayed Rocky, Colt and Tum Tum really showed their acting chops, and it's safe to say that their performances speak for themselves. I'm pretty sure they make their livings selling knives door-to-door nowadays, but it's an honest profession.
These three brothers are inspired by their grandfather, who is a master ninja, and take up the art of karate while visiting him over the summer. My grandfather just told me to stop kicking the ball in his rose bushes, and these kids were born into Mr. Miyagi's family, what luck.
Naturally, their 107(?) year-old grandfather has enemies, and bad guys don't come any meaner than Snyder. He has a knack for escaping from dozens of FBI agents via helicopter, and even has a giant ship filled with professional ninjas at his disposal. Oh and don't let me forget the fact that he has a ponytail. It's a ponytail that does not take crap from anyone. Don't ask me why, because I don't make the rules, it just does.
Rocky, the oldest of the child ninjas, has a steamy relationship with Emily, the boys' neighbor and schoolmate. When some bullies at school steal Emily's bike, Rocky makes sure to get it back any way possible. So the logical approach is to challenge the bullies to a pickup basketball game. That's how most issues are resolved in this country. Oh, and despite the fact that Rocky is 4'6'', he can dunk. Don't believe me? I'll prove it (fast forward to the end if you don't want to watch the whole thing).
The best part of this film has to be the three hired kidnappers who can't seem to catch the three child ninjas. The kidnappers break into the kid's home, and chaos ensues. I simply cannot do the sequence justice in words, so check it out if you have some time.
The movie concludes with a dramatic battle aboard Snyder's ship that apparently cannot be found by the FBI despite the fact that they are avidly searching for him. The boys have been taken aboard, and now must fight their way off...shouldn't be too difficult. The three ninjas escape from their holding cell with relative ease, then begin dismantling the dozens of trained ninjas aboard the ship.
Their grandfather sneaks aboard to help the situation, and not must fight Snyder in a very dramatic and most importantly, realistic fight scene.
Spoiler Alert: Grandpa wins.
When I have children this movie will be the first one s/he sees, and hopefully my unborn child will be as motivated as I once was to take up karate for a few hours.

4 comments:

  1. Rocky loves Emily. I must have spent a good portion of my childhood chanting this phrase at my neighborhood park. What a decent movie, and you will most definitely find this gem on VHS at my house, a metallic orange cover. Classic. Of course my favorite part is when the hired kidnappers come into the house. Oh those hijinks that ensue. Haha, no but really I'm so happy you used this movie for your blog, it really reminds me of when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember pretending to be the 3 Ninjas with my friends. I was always Tum Tum, it made sense because I love eating, but man I wanted to be Rocky. Then again Rocky did love Emily and at that age, girls were icky. Actually, even at this age girls are still kind of icky but you learn to put up with it because they have their benefits.

    -Chris G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say I've never seen this movies. My friends yelled at me when I asked about it. Evidently I'm a sheltered child. It seems like an interesting movie though. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You come up with some classics to blog about. It has been a while since I have seen this flick, but it definitely played a big part in my childhood. I might even have it on VHS on my mom's house. I also liked the sequels they made: 3 ninjas kick back and high noon at mega mountain. That one had Hulk Hogan in it. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete