Monday, February 28, 2011

Space Jam

I was not sure which movie to write about this week, but then I received a sign. It's the type of sign that Moses received the when that God fella told him Ten Commandments. Actually, I think the sign I was shown may have more significance on society than the Ten Commandments, but it's too early to tell. My friend was flipping through television channels, and I was deciding on the perfect movie to write about. Then, it happened: We came across Space Jam on cable television. What a glorious occurrence it was.
Here's a fun fact about my relationship to Space Jam, this piece of information could potentially help you out on a game show someday: Space Jam is my favorite movie based on an athlete teaming up with cartoon characters to play basketball against a team of bad aliens who stole the talents of NBA players. It was a close call, but it just edged out To Kill a Mockingbird. The deciding factor was that To Kill a Mockingbird does not have any of those characteristics, upon further inspection.
I can remember back to when I was a kid (okay it was two months ago) and I had a Michael Jordan poster from Space Jam. It gave me the creeps because it was just a huge picture of his face...I always felt like I was being watched. But the only reason why I had that poster was because Space Jam is a film that is second to only about 45,000,000 other films; it's that good.
Bugs and the gang get into trouble when challenged by much smaller aliens in a game of basketball. Little do the Looney Tunes know is that those small aliens will soon be stealing the talents of NBA players. How didn't they see that one coming? So they pull Jordan down a hole on a putting green, and ask him to join their squad. He is tentative, but ultimately agrees.
The Tunes don't play basketball, except for Lola Bunny, who is arguably the most attractive cartoon character since Elmer Fudd. So there's two bunnies in town, and both are single and ready to mingle. It's the Brad and Angelina of Tune Land.
After a lot of Looney practice and such, the big game is upon us. The Tune Squad gets down early, but stages a 40 point comeback in the second half. Quite the Cinderella story. The comeback is due in large part to Michael's Secret Stuff, or as some would call it: water.
So the Monstars, who are owned by Danny Devito, do everything in their power to stop the surging Tune Squad. I'm not sure if there was a ref present during the game, or if it was just the fact that Stevie Wonder was in charge of watching for fouls, but there were not many fouls called. Some may say the Monstars were playing a bit dirty.
In a dramatic conclusion, the Tune Squad calls timeout down one point. Jordan gives a riveting speech where he says, "Give me the ball, and I'll score the winning basket." Great plan, coach. Sure enough, he gets the ball with time to score, and stretches his arm the length of six city buses for the dunk (fast forward to 3:30).
The Tune Squad wins, and the NBA players get their talents back...a good day for cartoon characters and tall people everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. Another classic piece of cinema. I was lucky enough to get a text message the other day from a friend letting my know it was on and obviously, I dropped everything for it. I for one can't believe Jordan was snubbed from the Academy that year. You can't teach someone to be THAT bad at baseball. And the all-star crack team they assembled for the NBA all-stars is GOLDEN. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was thinking I was the only one who found Elmer Fudd attractive. Also I thought Boo Radley was played by Daffy Duck and Atticus Finch was an amateur basketball player. Or am I thinking of a different movie?

    -Chris G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually watched this movie when it was on TV the other day too. What a coincidence. One of my favorite parts is when Bill Murray "saves the day" at the end of the big game. How awesome would it be if someone had a Toon Squad Jordan jersey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Space Jam has got to be one of my favorite movies ever! I watch it all the time with one of my best friends. It's a classic, as is Looney Tunes. And I agree with Justin, a Toon Squad Jordan jersey would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, you are forgetting the best part of the film, the soundtrack.

    I Believe I Can Fly was my pre-game jam back in the day when I was 10, and Seal's version of Fly Like An Eagle, awesomesause with a side helping of fried greatness!

    Plus it was the 69th best selling album of the 90's

    ReplyDelete